Kenyatta National Hospital has not received any official complaint from the victims of rape at the facility, CEO Lilly Koros has said.
Ms Koros said that the hospital administration keeps a file of such occurrences but there had been no evidence to pursue the matters farther.
She was responding to claims that the hospital had dismissed the rape allegations
“We have not dismissed the claims that is why we have invited the DCI to conduct thorough investigations and take necessary action. Only that by the time we came to the press yesterday there was no single incident that had not been reported,” she said.
She appealed to Kenyans to stop baseless speculations and let the DCI handle the matter.
“All I can say is for us to allow the various security agencies investigate the matter so that at the time we are presenting our report we base it on facts and not speculations,” she said.
Koros was summoned to appear before the Parliamentary Committee on Health to explain the allegations that surfaced on social media.
She is expected to provide the committee with a report on the findings by the hospital after they conducted their investigations of the chilling rape claims.
At the meeting scheduled for Friday January 26, she will also be expected to give a detailed status report of equipment at the hospital.
Reports that surfaced online indicated that mothers who go through Cesarean were raped as they went down to the first floor to breastfeed their newborn babies.
Many women who had delivered babies at the hospital seemed to collaborate the reports with many saying that the morgue attendants are the hospital were the culprits.
Others indicated that some male patients who had been detained for not clearing their medical bills may be responsible as well.
Some of the wards are meant to hold about 19 women but they hold 93 women and some of them may have been attacked as they tried to get fresh air away from the overcrowded wards.