ODM overturns another polls result, declares winner who was initially in third place finish


The Orange Democratic Movement (ODM) overturned another key poll result naming former TNA boss Onyango Oloo as the winner in Kisumu Central constituency.

The re-tallied results were announced on Thursday by election panel chairman Bernard Omondi who said Oloo won the polls with 20,998 votes.

Omondi said in second place was Fred Ouda who garnered 11,960 votes while Ken Obura who was initially announced as the winner emerged third with 3,287 votes.

He dismissed the results, read by constituency returning officer Laban Bosire declaring Obura the winner on Wednesday.

In the initial results, Bosire said Obura won with 24,601 votes followed by Fred Outa (13,613), Oloo (5,090).

The development came a day after nominated MP Oburu Odinga was declared the winner of the party’s Bondo Constituency’s primaries less than 24 hours after sitting MP Gideon Ochanda had been declared the winner.

The re-tallied results gave Oburu, who is the elder brother of ODM party leader Raila Odinga, 15, 784 votes while Ochanda received 9,538.

Earlier reports indicated that Ochanda had gotten 24, 446 votes to Oburu’s 4,000 votes.

Omondi said that Bosire was under duress when he was announcing the initial results and that the latest announcement stands as official.

Soon after Bosire announced the initial results on Wednesday at Lions High school amid tight security, he was hurriedly escorted out of the polling station.

Tension had started building at the school at the time he left the station.

“I summoned all the presiding officers with who we tabulated the results afresh. From the analysis, the correct results were that Oloo won,” Omondi said.

“Kisumu Central constituents deserve to be told the truth.”

Omondi said Bosire had complained to him that he was receiving phone calls and text messages from a certain candidate as the votes were being tallied.

“He felt a lot of pressure and even considered withdrawing from the process. I encouraged him to wait until the voting was over,” he added.

“We were surprised that Bosire disappeared from Aga Khan Hall and did not answer calls and text messages.”

“He reappeared on Wednesday under tight security announcing the results which were untrue,” Omondi said.

Soon after the results declaring Obura were announced on Wednesday, protests broke out in the area as supporters of the other aspirants claimed there was rigging in the polls.